Before the snow

One of the most interesting plants found throughout the desert Southwest, the buffalo gourd is a native species belonging to the squash family. It grows from an underground tuber that can weigh as much as 160 pounds. The large triangular leaves can grow quickly from sprawling stems that can reach 20-30 feet a season. Yellow ”squash blossoms” develop into baseball sized green and white striped fruit, that look tasty, but don’t eat them ….. the fruit is poisonous! Buffalo gourd is common along the ABQ Open Space trails.

21 Comments

1. nimcal says:

Wow, Barb! Major congratulations on your accomplishment! Beautiful work! I look forward to see where you go! Cal

1. Thanks so much Cal! I’m pretty excited!

2. memnona says:

I am happy to see again your artwork 😍

1. Thanks so so much Aga! It’s good to be back.

3. peacefulbird says:

Oh, Barb! This is soooooo much better than FB, and such a wonderful dose of “intelligent beauty” for me today!!! Most curious and surprising is the weight of the root mass… no wonder the Native Americans found it useful as a food source. Color me HAPPY! Peacefulbird = Robin

1. Wow! And Hi Robin (peaceful bird …… perfect). I love your comments, and so happy you’ll be following my posts! Yes, it’s amazing how heavy and large the gourd roots can get. It would be so cool to uncover one and see.

4. Sarah Reid says:

Hello Barb and Flambe’! I’ve missed you! So glad to see you in my inbox. Thank you for sharing. Hope you have been well, and stay well. I, too, am excited to see and follow your work again. Happy Trails! –Sarah

1. Hi Sarah! Good to hear from you and thanks for the comments and following my posts! Looking forward to what lies ahead, creatively speaking! Take care.

5. grindilu says:

Hello Barb (I’m Carlos Cano, but I like to use the name of grindilu) I’m very happy to see you again in this wonderful project. I I send you all my best wishes. I plan to enjoy each and every one of your works. A big hug for you (and for Flambé, of course).

1. Hello Carlos (Grindilu)! So glad you’ve commented on my post and delighted to hear from you too. Thanks so much for following. I’ve missed our artistic banter so much. Please stay in touch!

Liked by 2 people

6. sgoodman56 says:

Whew-there you are, and with more fascinating nature facts. Your illustrations are stupendous. 160lbs-wow! Going on to the next…

1. Thanks and thanks again! Have you seen buffalo gourd? The way they grow piles of leaves it’s easy to imagine such a large root mass! Appreciate the comments Susan.

7. rhilbruner says:

I love seeing your art again! So inspiring! Thank you for inviting me to your blog.❤️

1. Thank you ever so much Roberta! I love your comments and appreciate you following along with me! I miss seeing your beautiful art works too. Hope you’re creating! Stay in touch when you can!

8. masscheleincarine says:

What a beautiful name you have chosen for your blog. I wonder how to interpret him: Are you the curious nature, interested in everything that happens in nature or is it about nature themselves who generate curiosity and admiration? I think both interpretations are right ….. I am very pleased that I can enjoy your beautiful work again. I am happy to accept your invitation and I am very curious about your work and all knowledge about nature that you share so generously.

1. So delighted to have you come along on my new adventures!

9. masscheleincarine says:

What a beautiful name you have chosen for your blog. I wonder how to interpret him: Are you the curious nature, interested in everything that happens in nature or is it about nature that generate curiosity and admiration? I think both interpretations are right ….. I am very happy that I can enjoy your beautiful work again. I am happy to accept your invitation and I am very curious about your work and all knowledge about nature that you share so generously.

1. Wow! Hi Carine, and thanks for such wonderful comments. You are right on both accounts regarding a curious nature. I loved coming up with a play on the name. And everything in nature is made up of filaments and fragments ….. and of course fragments beings in the Zentangle angle too. Flambé? Well, she island will always be my Kat! Thanks so much for agreeing to accept the invitation and for following. Have an amazing day!

Liked by 2 people

2. Barb says:

So so happy to have you follow along Carine! And how perspective of you to deduce the double meaning of my blog and website name! Yes ….. you’ve got it so right! Thanks very much!

Liked by 1 person

10. beckylovescolor says:

Love this, Barb! There is one growing in our neighborhood and I didn’t know its name. Leave it to you to educate me! As always your drawing are superb and love the educational aspect you include❤️

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much Becky! I love the comment and delighted my journal page helped yiu identify your “mystery” plant! Thanks for following!

Liked by 1 person